Spring Semester Application Deadline
The Online MS in Food Safety program is a Professional Science Masters, which means its core curriculum is based heavily in the sciences while also including leadership and food law components.
Elective choices have been designed to offer students flexibility according to their interests by addressing the large number of current issues which face food safety and regulatory professionals today.
The Food Safety Masters program’s courses are immediately applicable to students current positions while, at the same time, preparing them for future leadership roles within food regulation and industry.
Why this masters program?
- Obtain an advanced degree from an accredited Big-Ten institution
- Fully online, asynchronous study
- Designed for mid-career/mid-management working professionals
- Consists of ten 3-credit courses to equal a 30-credit hour program
- Average time to degree = 3 years / maximum allowed = 5 years
- Non-thesis professional science master's: Plan-B applied food safety project
- As an employer you will retain the best and brightest employees with this flexible online program
- Accredited through:
- Michigan State University
- Higher Learning Commission-North Central Association
- AVMA Council on Education (COE) through the College of Veterinary Medicine
- Affiliate of the Professional Science Masters
After this MS program, you will…
- Effectively evaluate and manage the broad range of food safety information essential to success
- Understand and evaluate new and emerging technologies as they arise
- Address new concerns, such as food security, food packaging, emerging foodborne pathogens, zoonotic diseases, antimicrobial resistance and biotechnology
- Develop critical thinking, organizational and leadership skills
- Be more effective, efficient, and confident in an ever-changing food safety industry
- Be able to connect food safety regulations to the science behind them
The curriculum was rigorous and challenging but it developed my confidence, increased my depth of knowledge and helped to shape me as a food safety leader. With my new found confidence, many doors have opened.