This position is the corporate subject matter expert (SME) for food manufacturing facilty and equipment sanitation and sanitary design. This position drives Global Sanitation program and provides leadership to Integrated Pest Management Team.
With minimal direction, assume primary responsibility for leading the development and maintenance of significant QRC policies and programs related to the management of food facility and equipment sanitation and cleaning, and undertaking and executing assignments of very high complexity. Leads problem solving through application of knowledge, experience, original thinking, and testing solutions. Prepare reports, presentations, and training modules. Act as consultant throughout the Company on issues within these areas of expertise and make authoritative technical recommendations.
As Subject Matter Expert may also interact with regulatory officials on behalf of the Company. Serve as The Hershey Company representative on trade association committees and external groups (research, industry groups). Lead and participate in task teams and communities of practice related to areas of expertise. Study relevant literature and write reports, reviews, and white papers.
Work with Hershey’s QRC, Engineering, and Manufacturing groups to identify, standardize, and implement best practices, new technologies and methods related to these areas of expertise and any emerging issues. Work with COEs and SMEs to develop and implement global sanitation and cleaning standards for food processing equipment, including wet and dry cleaning methods to reduce/eliminate food safety/quality risks (e.g., microbial, allergen, non-GM, gluten free, sugar free, etc.) and associated verification and validation protocols. Develop predictive KPIs to enable manufacturing, region and global teams to identify areas of opportunity and monitor progress.
The position also has key responsibilities to assure adequate and clear communications (both written and verbal) with the manufacturing plants, regional leadership teams, Hershey management and QRC Centers of Excellence. Participate in development of global policies, standards, and guidelines to ensure consistency of implementation relative to world class food manufacturing standards.
In addition to the above activities:
Must be able to travel up to 25% of the time with possible weekend travel and overnight stays required.
Must be flexible to participate in trips that arise with short notice.
Global Food Sanitation:
- Responsibility to design, implement and monitor quality systems and programs to ensure food safety, product quality and regulatory compliance are consistently achieved.
- Develop and lead training programs, complex troubleshooting initiatives, and participation in large-scale incident management.
- Define Global Cleaning Standards, Sanitary Design Standards, and Sanitation Best Practices.
- Lead the development and continuous improvement of Hershey’s Global Cleaning Standards and Sanitation Best Practices.
- Lead a Global Community of Practice on food sanitation, sanitary design, and pest control to enable knowledge development at all manufacturing facilities.
- Consult with teams to provide expertise and troubleshoot incidents of moderate to highly complex nature having the potential for large food safety, regulatory, and/or financial impact.
- Partner with cross functional groups (Marketing, Legal, etc.) and external business partners to ensure communications and action plans are developed and implemented. Ensure timely and cost-effective resolutions are achieved.
- Provide cleaning and sanitation direction in support of defining Global Food Safety Standards relative to microbiological, environmental, allergen, and specialty programs (non-GM, sugar free, gluten free)
- Support innovation projects and provide direction and guidance relative to new / different products or processes to ensure sanitary practices to enable food safety.
Research and Benchmarking
- Identify and implement best practices and new technologies for food safety, management of the food manufacturing environment, and product protection.
- Represent Hershey on related committees, boards, and industry groups.
- Research new and emerging technologies for food sanitation and the food manufacturing environment.
- Lead and work with external groups (research, industry groups) on emerging issues, new technologies, and priority topics. Interacts with other industries and institutions as required to exchange information and ideas in areas of expertise.
- Collaborate with Engineering and equipment manufacturers on sanitary design, provide design input especially as it relates to new equipment or manufacturers.
- Partner with Hershey’s QRC, Engineering, and Manufacturing groups to identify,standardize, and implement best practices, new technologies, and methods.
- Review relevant literature and research; write reports, reviews, and white papers for the Company.
- Recognized as a fully competent technical resource. Expertise in food safety, sanitation, sanitary design, and pest control.
- Well versed in chemistry of cleaning, and varying cleaning methodologies (wet, dry, etc) and appropriate technique to apply based on situation.
- Acts as a consultant throughout the Company on issues within areas of expertise and makes authoritative technical recommendations relative to cleaning & sanitizing and sanitary design.
- Interaction across organization Interacts closely with technical, professional, and managerial staff of QRC, Engineering, R&D, and Manufacturing facilities. Interacts with Managers, Directors, VPs, Regions, and COEs.
- Provides leadership and direction to handling of high food safety risk issues impacting the Company.
- Function as Manager, Leader and Coach to Integrated Pest Management Team. Ensure appropriate program design, implementation and execution of activities at manufacturing facilities. Ensure alignment of IPM and Cleaning / Sanitation programs as supporting prerequisite programs for robust Food Safety System.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science, Microbiology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Engineering or other related field.
- Advanced knowledge of food safety, sanitation, sanitary design, and pest control. HACCP and pest control certification preferred.
- Certified Sanitarian
- Minimum of 5 years applicable work experience in the food industry.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The policy of The Hershey Company is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veterans.
For the full job description and to apply click here.