ASR Group is the world’s largest refiner and marketer of cane sugar, with an annual production capacity of more than 6 million tons of sugar. The company produces a full line of grocery, industrial, food service and specialty sweetener products. Across North America, ASR Group owns and operates six sugar refineries, located in Louisiana, New York, California, Maryland, Canada and Mexico. In the European Union, the company owns and operates sugar refineries in England, Portugal and Italy. ASR Group also owns and operates mills in Mexico and Belize. The company’s brand portfolio includes the leading brands Domino®, C&H®, Redpath®, Tate & Lyle®, Lyle’s® and Sidul®.
The Sr. Manager of Food Safety is responsible to keep abreast of changes in technology, and to update our food safety policies and procedures as needed to ensure that regulatory, certification-body, and customer requirements with respect to food safety are achieved or exceeded. This position owns the Foreign Material Control Policy; is responsible to author other Food Safety policies and programs in support of Food Safety and Foreign Material Control, and is responsible for the application of food safety programs across the company on a global scale. The position is responsible to approve the selection of foreign material control devices company-wide.
DETAILED ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Acts as the in-house subject matter expert for food safety and prevention of foreign material on a global scale.
- Maintains current knowledge and understanding of regulatory, certification-body, and customer requirements related to Food Safety
- Development, implementation, and maintenance of the Foreign Material Control and other food safety programs
- Participation in the design of any new installations that require Food Safety equipment
- Evaluation of applicability for use of chemicals, process aids, pesticides, etc. within a food manufacturing operation
- Leads proactive correction / prevention within the enterprise based on audit findings at other facilities
- Delivers support in the design, selection, and operation of Food Safety equipment across the company to maintain standardization and installation of best available technology for our locations and products.
- Supports implementation of minimum standards within operations and facilities
- Monitors and reports on facility compliance to food safety related standards and requirements.
- Acts as an Internal Auditor
- Performs other duties as assigned
- 7-10 years of experience working in a GFSI (BRC/IFS/SQF/FSSC22000) environment.
- Knowledge of Quality Assurance/Control practices and procedures.
- Experience in communicating with customers, auditors and regulatory agencies.
- Successful record of passing audits by customers and third parties.
- Formal training in HACCP and PCQI.
- Experience performing audits of internal and external suppliers / facilities.
- Experience working with the design and implementation of food safety plans / programs.
- Experience with the design and operation of metal detectors, magnets, sifters, strainers, x-ray detectors, and filtration equipment.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university
- Degree major in Engineering, Toxicology, Chemistry, Biology, or Food Science is preferred
- Bilingual (English/Portuguese or English/Spanish) is beneficial
- None, however this position will likely have direct reports in the future.
ESSENTIAL CAPABILITIES (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES)
- Ability to analyze complex information and perform root cause analysis
- Ability to recognize areas for Continuous Improvement strategies; recommend and implement CI strategies as assigned
- Ability to utilize Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) information and analyze results
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of proprietary business information at all times
- Ability to effectively manage time, including the ability to prioritize, work within assigned deadlines, and work independently or collaboratively to accomplish organizational objectives
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects while maintaining quality & accuracy standards
- Ability to utilize Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Excel, Word, and Outlook on an Advanced Level
- Ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner both verbally and in writing, fostering strong lines of communication across the business
- Quality Management
- Risk Management
- Planning & Scheduling
- Analytical Thinking
- Supervisory Responsibility: None in the immediate future, however this role may have direct reports at a later date
- Managing Complexity- Keeping focused on key objectives and results when addressing the details of a situation. Making timely decisions using available facts in ambiguous situations.
- Change Management- Challenges the status quo; encourages people to question existing methods, practices, and assumptions. Responds positively and enthusiastically to novel ideas and suggestions; supports people in their efforts to try new things; seeks ways to implement new ideas. Coordinated, structured period of transition from one situation to another in order to achieve sustainable positive outcome.
- Regulatory Matters- Demonstrates understanding of regulatory and compliance requirements for area of responsibility.
- Working with Ambiguity- Achieves forward progress in the face of poorly defined situations and/or unclear goals; able to work effectively with limited or partial information.
- Accountability: Takes accountability for delivering on commitments; owns mistakes and uses them as opportunities for learning and development; openly discusses his/her actions and their consequences both good and bad.
- Credibility - Adheres to a set of core values that are represented in decisions and actions. Does the right thing, even when it is difficult. Demonstrates technical proficiency, reliable customer service and delivery of results in supporting clients; speaks with authority and is respected by others; maintains objectivity in dealing with issues. Removes/ minimizes bias from decisions.
- Quality Management- Knowledge and application of food industry quality systems; Knowledge and application of procedures required for testing food quality.
- Acting with Integrity: Clearly states goals and beliefs; lets people know his/her true intentions; does what he she said they would do; follows through on commitments; Understands and follows company policies
- Communication & Interpersonal Skills: Expresses ideas and information in a clear and concise manner; tailors message to fit the interests and needs of the audience; delivers information in a manner that is interesting and compelling to the listener
- Energy & Initiative: Takes action on his/her own without being prompted; handles problems independently; able to resolve issues without relying on extensive help from others; does more than is expected or asked; asserts one's influence over events to achieve goals
- Judgment & Decision-Making: Bases decisions on a systematic review of relevant facts and information; avoids making assumptions or rushing to judgment; provides clear rationale for decisions
- Customer Orientation – Addressing internal and/or external customer needs by providing and delivering professional, helpful, high quality service and support
- 10-20% both domestic and international
LOCATION OF ROLE
- This role will be based out of either Baltimore, MD or Yonkers, NY depending on candidate preference and other factors.
Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.