Nestle - Arlington, VA
The RSA Manager based in Arlington, VA leads a team of Specialists which is currently based in several locations across the United States supporting the Nestle USA Beverage, Global Foods and Ice Cream Divisions. He/She is responsible that the Nestle Regulatory & Scientific Affairs strategy is consistently implemented in the team. He/She assures, together with relevant other functions, early and effective regulatory assessments in Innovation & Renovation leading to compliance by design of ingredients, labels and communications in the area of responsibility. He/She proactively engages with Corporate Regulatory & Scientific Affairs in Vevey, Switzerland, and with authorities, associations and other stakeholders as appropriate.
- Right people in the right job: Attract and develop required competences to deliver upon one, several or all regulatory strategic functions (Foundation, Compliance, Active Innovation & Renovation, Advocacy) in the area of responsibility.
- Build a winning, objectives-driven team, thinking and acting people first: Ensure through coaching and training that the regulatory team demonstrates entrepreneurship and business partnership
- Ability to work within cross-functional teams e.g. Marketing, Technical Application Group, Quality, NHW, Legal and Public Affairs to support innovation and advocacy projects.
- Ensure compliance of ingredients, labels, claims and communication with external regulations and Nestle Standards. Ensures all claims are appropriately substantiated and documentation maintained.
- Systems and workflow: Ensure robust and flawless approval processes for labeling and communication material (Label-D, Devex).
- Issue Management: Fast and reliable issue resolution (corrective and preventive processes and actions) in area of responsibility; brief senior leadership ahead of Issues Round Table.
- Monitors the development of new and proposes rules, regulations and enforcement activities impacting the use of ingredients, safety, labeling and advertising and new business models.
- Ensure the team contributes at the right level externally in associations and in engagement with authorities at national and international level.
Anticipated Travel: 20%
Requirements and Minimum Education Level:
- Requires BS/BA, preferably in nutrition and/or food science or legal, MS/MA preferred
- In depth knowledge of the US Food regulations; of other markets is an asset
- Core knowledge of Nestle business strategy, Nestle USA Operation Master Plan
- Good Knowledge of Nestle organization (Markets, Zones, Strategic Business Units), policies and instructions related to regulatory
- 10+ years experience in the food industry, primarily in regulatory affairs, regulatory compliance, nutrition or product development, with significant direct experience with FDS and /or USDA
- 5-7 years experience managing direct reports
- Acts decisively and ahead of issues, and anticipates for the long term
- Experience in effective networking across functional boundaries and externally
- Enhances overall department effectiveness by encouraging team working behaviors across boundaries
- Strong written & verbal communication skills, including influencing & negotiation skills, and an ability to communicate regulatory & technical issues in laymens terms
- Trusts his/her own capacity to face critical situations and is ready to face any challenge
- Keeps all relevant people informed to improve team effectiveness, and leads the team to success
- Supports others in their development and creates a positive environment for long term development and growth
- Gives a personal and original view to solve a problem, explain a given situation or create an opportunity
- Challenges the status quo and promotes change
In addition the incumbent will have excellent analytical and oral and written communication skills.
Regulatory Affairs Specialist
NUSA T&P - Regulatory & Scientific Affairs | Nestle USA
Ph: 1+ (818) 551-3957