We are looking for an individual that excels at building relationships with multiple stakeholders to identify and address industry needs. Initiative and independence are also essential to success. This position moves comfortably across a wide geography and contributes to multiple teams while developing their own unique program. Someone who has an appreciation for agriculture in New York State and realizes the importance of building relationships with producers and processors. Experience working in livestock processing, marketing, food safety and in developing educational programming.
Roles and Responsibilities as a member of the Harvest New York Specialist Team:
- Provide the meats processing and distribution industries with the knowledge and educational resources necessary to assess production and management practices that will enhance economic development in the livestock and meats industries.
- Support the development of a workforce for the livestock processing and distribution industries.
- Regularly plan, implement and evaluate educational programs that address research and industry identified needs and opportunities; develop and enhance partnerships as well as collaborate with industry producers and agribusiness.
- Deliver one-on-one consultations with key producers, processors and industry partners related to program initiatives and available resources.
- Support processor’s regulatory compliance on topics such as Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) and Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP).
- Communicate evaluation results, findings, and recommendations to program partners and funders.
- Define and implement reporting mechanisms from the programmatic efforts.
- Support communication efforts with stakeholders through newsletters, quarterly reports, news releases, and social media.
- Build and maintain effective relationships with producers, processors, consultants, faculty and other industry representatives.
- Participate in work groups related to the work of Cornell University, Cornell Cooperative Extension and the meat processing industry.
This position is full-time (40 hours / week) and will be located in Northern New York. This is a one year appointment with possible extension depending on funding and performance.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Food Science, Livestock Production or closely related discipline from an accredited institution and 3+ years of relevant work experience in meats processing and livestock production or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong interpersonal skills with proven ability to work with diverse audiences in group and one-on-one settings.
- Ability to work effectively with industry, economic development groups, advisory boards and committees, community and funding partners and other stakeholders.
- Proven organizational and time-management skills.
- Able to work in a fast paced environment and to quickly adjust to change and changing priorities.
- Ability to interpret and communicate applied research and demonstration projects.
- Strong leadership and teamwork skills.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Fundamental competence utilizing current technology as a management and program delivery tool (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access, Internet and Web development).
- Must be able to meet the travel requirements of the position, and have reliable transportation as well as have and maintain a valid and unrestricted New York State driver’s license.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as essential job functions require.
- Must exercise sound and ethical judgment when acting on behalf of the University.
- Masters or PhD in Food Science or closely related discipline.
- Experience and / or formal training in marketing and product development.
- Knowledge and experience in current and emerging issues and production practices related to the livestock and meat industries in New York State and northern New York.
- Knowledge of the philosophy, objectives and operation of an informal education system such as Cornell Cooperative Extension.
- Successful experience obtaining new funding including grants and industry support.
- Appreciation of Agriculture as a business and as a lifestyle.