Quality Technologist - New/Recent Under-Graduate - Van Drunen Farms
This role is responsible for conducting quality verification protocols to ensure that all finished products meet with Quality and Food Safety Specifications and regulatory requirements including FSMA. The Quality Technologist enables conformance to specification through the verification quality control protocols and/or monitoring of sampling and testing plans applied to packaging and product.
This resource also enables the reduction of food safety incidents and non-quality costs by the immediate escalation of any out of conformance condition detected during verification activities. In addition, this role supports the maintenance of quality knowledge and skills required in operation associates for proper execution of quality control protocols and proper data documentation and records keeping.
The Quality Technologist is required to be the functional expert of the Quality and Food Safety aspects of the respective plants.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (other duties may be assigned)
An employee in this job must be thorough in maintaining records of their work and willing to communicate any and all relevant information to the QC manager and or Quality Director.
Responsible for shift-based quality verification or monitoring activities for raw ingredients, packaging and finished product.
- Verify conformance of finished product and/or in-process for Product Quality and Food Safety.
- Verify conformance of finished product attributes and product defects following quality approved standards and procedures.
- Verify proper execution of Code dates monitoring protocols to ensure product traceability is not compromised.
- Verify scale calibration accuracy/ activities.
- Initiate escalations for non-conforming product and processes.
- Provide support in incident investigations to enable proper risk assessment.
- Ensures that only approved documents are used in the plant for quality related activities and archives quality related records for further analysis or auditing purposes.
- Provides quality related information to operators to enable quality control activities.
- Escalate to process areas any out of conformance incidents and collaborate in trouble shooting providing all information needed on product quality attributes until process and product are back in control.
- Identify and isolate out-of-specification materials, including placing product on hold, initiating non-conformances and escalating to the correct associates. They are expected to collaborate closely with Production to ensure all non-conforming products are captured in house.
- Verifies that procedures to complete quality related documentation are properly executed and information in the records is complete.
- Sign off all quality check paperwork for all lines in accordance with company and FSMA guidelines.
- Provides coaching and training to operators to ensure proper execution of quality control protocols and proper record management control.
- Member of the Food Safety/ HACCP team and Internal Auditors group to support quality and food safety continuous improvement program and CAPA’s execution.
- Functional expert of the Quality and Food Safety aspects of the respective plants.
- Represent Quality during Regulatory, 3rd Party and Customer Audits for respective plants.
- May serve as backup for Quality Technician.
- This role supports two manufacturing plants.
- Schedule: Monday-Friday 7:00am-4:30pm-off shift work may be required to fulfill duties of the position.
Required Skills And Qualifications
- Bi-Lingual in Spanish and English required.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- HAACP/HARPC Certification.
- Knowledge of BRC or GFSI schemes.
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence, and memos. Ability to write correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to employees of the organization. Must be fluent in oral and written English.
Education Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science related field or equivalent manufacturing experience in a Quality role.
Qualifications-Required and Preferred Skills
- Significant positive attitude and approach to life
- Developed listening, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Exceptional organizational and detail skills.
- Must be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities.
- Must be a problem-solver who uses good judgement.
- Must be tech savvy and a quick learner.
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office.with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, e-mail.
Demonstrate the Following Values: Humility, Integrity, Passion and Excellence
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information.