ASR Group is the world’s largest refiner and marketer of cane sugar, with an annual production capacity of more than 6 million tons of sugar. The company produces a full line of grocery, industrial, food service and specialty sweetener products. Across North America, ASR Group owns and operates six sugar refineries, located in Louisiana, New York, California, Maryland, Canada and Mexico. In the European Union, the company owns and operates sugar refineries in England, Portugal and Italy. ASR Group also owns and operates mills in Mexico and Belize. The company’s brand portfolio includes the leading brands Domino®, C&H®, Redpath®, Tate & Lyle®, Lyle’s® and Sidul®.
The primary responsibility of the Quality Assurance Manager is to effectively plan, coordinate, manage, and control all of the quality activities of the Yonkers refinery. Responsibility includes the objective of acceptable product quality. The position reports to the Director, Quality Management – North America, and will work closely with the Management Team leading the Yonkers refinery.
ESSENTIAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline from an accredited college/university is required; an advanced degree in a related field of discipline from an accredited college university is preferred.
ESSENTIAL WORK EXPERIENCES
- At least 3 years of applicable professional experience working with quality & food safety systems
- At least 3 years of supervisory/managerial experience in a manufacturing environment; experience supervising employees in a Quality Assurance department is preferred
- Substantial experience working in a SQF and GFSI environment, HACCP, AIB, Food Safety
- Experience in communicating with auditors and state agencies
- Successful record of passing audits of SQF and GFSI
- HACCP and related food safety training
- SQF and GFSI benchmarked standard training
- Knowledge of Quality Assurance/Control practices and procedures
- Knowledge of Calibration of equipment
- Determine the long range needs of the department develop plans and implement solutions.
- Implement ongoing quality improvement processes working with interdepartmental teams.
- Oversee internal food safety/quality assurance audits (HACCP, GMP’s, pest control, product recall, production codes, finished product review/release, calibration of critical instruments, etc.) including internal and external facility sites.
- Manage and lead SQF/GFSI programs, including development, audits, training, team building and sustainability.
- Oversee statistical analysis of data, including basic graphs, Pareto charts, and SPC charts as needed.
- Ensure timely completion of testing of materials and product samples.
- Develop and lead employees in the transition to a culture of accountability.
- Give feedback as necessary in accordance with established plant policies and procedures while maintaining a high level of fairness and uniformity.
- Initiate CAPA’s and follow-up to closing with any root cause findings.
- Interact with customers on opportunities and complaints. Represent the company positively with customers.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable federal and state regulations and company policies.
- Conduct performance evaluations on a timely basis and establish performance goals. Develop direct reports and successors.
- Provide effective communication regarding issues, objectives, initiatives and performance to plan.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Leads a team of 8-10 Direct Reports
- Trains and develops direct reports
- Counsels direct reports on educational and job opportunities which will enhance their career development
- Sets challenging and productive goals for his/her team and holds them accountable
- Coaches and counsels direct reports on performance issues
- Conducts periodic meetings with direct reports to keep the team informed of current problems, changes and new developments in the business unit and company
- Monitors work productivity and recommends and implements changes to improve work productivity
- Plans, schedules, and assigns workloads
- Coordinates workflow and procedures to maximize service
- Arranges for cross training of direct reports to maximize productivity and provide coverage of all functions
- Administers all policies and procedures set forth by ASR Group
ESSENTIAL CAPABILITIES (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES)
- Teamwork/Collaboration – Must be able to work effectively in a multi-tasking work environment, and be familiar with quality assurance systems and standards.
- Working Independently & Efficiently – Must be able to work independently with minimum supervision and have the ability to interact positively with others within the department and management team.
- Leadership – Must be able to lead a QA department to meet strategic goals.
- Planning and Organizing – Strong organization, planning and decision making abilities
- Analytical Skills – Ability to evaluate information and make deductions based on information. Ability to track and report on data. Ability to evaluate the results of standard micro and physical tests and ensure corrective action is taken.
- Communication Skills – excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Problem-Solving & Opportunity Identification – Ability to problem solve with groups of people
- Ethics & Integrity – High degree of personal integrity at all times
- Execution – Attentive to detail and demonstrated ability to deliver on accountabilities in order to help the business and the team be successful. Track record of high-performance
- Judgment/Decision-Making – Smart, with the ability to think through issues and make wise decisions, often without all facts and information or high levels of direction.
Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities.