- Responsibilities include product formulation and scale up, communication with key suppliers and consultants, new ingredients investigation and approvals.
- Work within testing criteria, and R&D lab equipment requirements for innovation and growth as defined by top NRI Management.
- Develop new food products for company (such as drink mixes, breakfast foods (cereals, omelets) coffee, cocoa drinks and snack foods) that support weight loss diet profile typically lower calories, lower carbohydrates, and higher protein.
- Determine the nutritional profile of new products and sending samples for third party analysis.
- Follow the product design as directed by top NRI Management to meet consumer requirements, including identifying product evaluation parameters and internal testing.
- Responsible for the formulation and testing of new product prototypes, data recording and analysis and reporting of results.
- Responsible for determining the nutritional profile of new products and sending samples for third party analysis.
- Maintains nutritional database on Nutritionist Pro and GENESIS Software.
- Maintain records of all product design, process development, new product prototypes approvals and revised product documentation.
- Work with production on new product launches, assist in plant trials and on scale up issue and suggest improvements/modifications.
- Work with the stakeholders: customers, marketing, operations, quality control and sales, in new product development activities and/or customer inquiries.
- All other duties as assigned.
Food Safety Responsibilities:
- Maintain the inventory and condition of R&D lab test ingredients such that they do not pose a food safety hazard.
- Maintain a clean organized and safe work area including cleaning of equipment and utensils and work surfaces in the laboratory.
- This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer (COO).
- This position, while important to business growth and sustainability, is not key and is left vacant in the event of absence. This position may be utilized to cover absence or vacancy of the Principal Product Development Specialist.
- The Product Development Specialist gains input from top NRI management to select which product development or revision initiatives to pursue.
- This position may collaborate with outside contract services, contract manufacturers and ingredient suppliers toward achieving goals.
- While performing the duties of this job, employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, and use hands, handle or feel objects.
- Must be able to work with all known allergens
- Must be able to perform the essential functions of this position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to lift to 50 lbs.
Work is performed primarily in a laboratory/office setting, an indoor food processing environment. The production areas may have wet floors, humid and/or dusty conditions. The ambient noise level does not currently require the use of ear plugs although these are available. The lab and production facility regularly handle ingredients and finished products with known food allergens.
Experience / Education:
- B.S. in Food Science, Life Sciences or related degree, preferred, but not required.
- Experience in commercial kitchen, or food processing (chef, cook, baker)
- A combination of work experience as a Food Scientist and education is preferred.
- Experience with food labeling, FDA regulations and a good understanding of food industry standards of safety and quality.
- Demonstrate problem solving, communication, and leadership skills.
- Computer literate on MS office
Judy Bush, Human Resources Manager, (706) 869-1222 ext. 2210, email@example.com.