This position is the corporate subject matter expert (SME) for food sanitation and sanitary design.
With minimal direction, assume primary responsibility for leading the development and maintenance of significant QRC policies and programs related to the management of food sanitation and cleaning, and undertaking and executing assignments of very high complexity. Serve as The Hershey Company representative on trade association committees and external groups (research, industry groups). Solve problems through application of knowledge, experience, original thinking, and testing solutions. Prepare reports, presentations, and training modules. Act as consultant throughout the Company on issues within these areas of expertise and make authoritative technical recommendations. May also interact with regulatory officials on behalf of the Company. Lead and participate in task teams and communities of practice related to areas of expertise. Study relevant literature and write reports, reviews, and white papers. Work with Hershey’s QRC, Engineering, and Manufacturing groups to identify, standardize, and implement best practices, new technologies and methods related to these areas of expertise and any emerging issues. Work with COEs and SMEs to develop and implement global sanitation and cleaning standards for food processing equipment, including wet and dry cleaning methods to reduce/eliminate food safety/quality risks (e.g., microbial, allergen, non-GM, gluten free, sugar free, etc.) and associated verification and validation protocols.
The position also has key responsibilities to assure adequate and clear communications (both written and verbal) with the manufacturing plants, regional leadership teams, Hershey management and QRC Centers of Excellence. Participate in development of global policies, standards, and guidelines to ensure consistency of implementation relative to world class food manufacturing standards.
In addition to the above activities:
- Must be able to travel up to 25% of the time with possible weekend travel and overnight stays required.
- Must be flexible to participate in trips that arise with short notice.
- Global Food Sanitation SME: Design, implement and monitor quality systems and programs to ensure food safety and regulatory compliance are consistently achieved. Provide training programs, complex troubleshooting, and participation in large-scale incident management.
- Research & Benchmarking: Represent Hershey on related committees, boards, and industry groups. Research new and emerging technologies for food sanitation and the food manufacturing environment. Work with Engineering and equipment manufacturers on sanitary design. Work with Hershey’s QRC, Engineering, and Manufacturing groups to identify, standardize, and implement best practices, new technologies, and methods. Review relevant literature and research; write reports, reviews, and white papers for the Company.
- Global Cleaning Standards, Sanitary Design, and Sanitation Best Practices: Lead the development and continuous improvement of Hershey’s Global Cleaning Standards and Sanitation Best Practices. Lead a Community of Practice on food sanitation, sanitary design, and pest control.
- Consultant: Consult with teams to provide expertise and troubleshoot incidents of moderate to complex nature having the potential for large food safety, regulatory, and/or financial impact. Partner with cross functional groups (Marketing, Legal, etc.) and external business partners to ensure communications and action plans are developed and implemented. Ensure timely and cost-effective resolutions are achieved.
- Training: Develop and deliver global training programs.
- Global Food Sanitation Standards – microbiological, allergen, specialty programs (non-GM, sugar free, gluten free)
- Global Food Sanitation Preventive Controls
- Chemistry of Cleaning; wet and dry cleaning methods
- Sanitary Design of Equipment and Facilities
- Research new and emerging technologies for food sanitation and the food manufacturing environment. Work with Engineering and equipment manufacturers on sanitary design.
- Aseptic, retort, low water activity, high risk, intermediate water activity, food, beverage, soy/tofu, snacks, enrobing, moulding, panning, slab and slit, baking, nut roasting, milk processing
- Identify and implement best practices and new technologies for food safety, management of the food manufacturing environment, and product protection.
- Strategy and policy establishment scope
- Works with COEs and Regions to develop global strategy and policies for food plant sanitation.
- Recognized as a fully competent technical resource. Expertise in food safety, sanitation, sanitary design, and pest control. Acts as a consultant throughout the Company on issues within areas of expertise and makes authoritative technical recommendations.
- Interaction across organization Interacts closely with technical, professional, and managerial staff of QRC, Engineering, R&D, and Manufacturing facilities. Interacts with Managers, Directors, VPs, Regions, and COEs.
- Handles high risk issues impacting the Company.
- Lead and work with internal/external teams on food plant sanitation management strategies and programs, issues/incidents, and risk assessment. Lead and work with external groups (research, industry groups) on emerging issues, new technologies, and priority topics. Interacts with other industries and institutions as required to exchange information and ideas in areas of expertise.
Minimum knowledge, skills and abilities required to successfully perform major duties/responsibilities:
- Thorough understanding of food safety, food sanitation, sanitary design, and pest control.
- Strong leadership skills, ability to lead projects and teams.
- Ability to work in a team environment and independently in a flexible work environment with changing priorities.
- Superior communication skills in verbal and written form. Advanced presentation skills.
- Ability to explain complex concepts to non-technical audiences.
- Ability to effectively interact with all levels of employees (from Production to VP level).
- Ability to develop self and others.
- Ability to represent Hershey and establish effective relationships with outside agencies (regulatory, industry, etc.).
- Ability to make business decisions in light of strategic company objectives.
- Advanced problem solving/troubleshooting skills.
- Advanced proficiency in computer programs / software such as Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, and Power Point.
- Ability to travel minimum of 25%, including overnight travel on short notice.
- Valid driver’s license.
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Microbiology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Food Science, Engineering, or related field.
- Advanced knowledge of food safety, sanitation, sanitary design, and pest control. HACCP and pest control certification preferred.
- Certified Sanitarian
- Experience in successfully addressing environmental sanitation challenges in areas such as drains, floors, walls, roofs, and equipment.
- Thorough knowledge and experience with diverse sanitizing applications.
- Understands the principles behind verification and validation methods and has experience in application.
- Effective written and oral communication. Ability to engage all levels of employees and ability to work effectively with a team are required.
- Knowledge of food laws, Canadian, and international standards and regulations.
- Knowledge and experience working with both COP and CIP operations.
- Understands and can apply basic microbiological principles. In depth food borne pathogen knowledge.
- Knowledge of HACCP and Sanitation principles
- Understands appropriate wet cleaning and dry cleaning methodology. Able to identify the appropriate cleaning method and can synthesize knowledge to evaluate situations and make effective recommendations based on scientific principles.
- 5+ years applicable work experience in the food industry.
- Knowledge of the following products, manufacturing processes and environments is preferred: aseptic, retort, low water activity, intermediate water activity, food, beverage, soy/tofu, snacks, enrobing, moulding, panning, slab and slit, baking, nut roasting, milk processing.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The policy of The Hershey Company is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veterans